The first recorded match involving Chester-le-Street Cricket Club was against Durham City, with ten shillings up for grabs for the winners. That match was rained off but later replayed at Plawsworth for a larger cash prize – though, sadly, it is now unknown which side triumphed.
The first cricket field in Chester-le-Street was at Mordue’s Field, Crown Farm, on Ropery Lane. The town’s bypass now runs straight through this field – which, as a cricket ground, was replaced by a new site on what is now Red Rose Terrace. The move to the present location took place in 1866.
This ground’s early history was certainly eventful. One match in 1876 left Durham City all out for 9 runs, and it was in 1892 that Chester-le-Street won the County Challenge Cup. They held off Bishop Auckland in the final and so entered the Durham County Senior League, Northern Division in 1893, there joining Philadelphia, North Durham, South Shields, Sunderland and Whitburn.